Is laser the right hair removal solution for you?
We all can agree on one thing – we don’t want to have hair on our body!
That is why we decided to eliminate it. And, as creative creatures, we people created a lot of different ways how to solve this problem – from shaving and waxing to laser hair removal.
You can shave everything away quickly, but the hair grows back in a matter of days. Depilatory creams dissolve hair in minutes, but they have a tendency to smell really bad. If you want a more thorough hair removal, you might consider waxing or sugaring, which snatches the hair at the root. Hair doesn’t grow back for weeks, but waxing is a painful process, and it itches like hell when the hair grows back.
As you see, every method for hair removal has pros and cones.
So does laser hair removal.
But, before we get to that. Lets find out what is laser hair removal.
Laser hair removal – How it works
You won’t believe how easy the process is and the science behind it.
You see, there are two main things that are responsible for the hair growth – Bulb and Bulge. Both of them are the part of every hair on your body. When you heat them to 60 degrees Celsius, they die and hair can never grow back on that spot.
For this, we use the process of photothermolysis. It is a fancy word for describing process where we transform the light energy into heat that destroys the hair follicle.
Here is a great example how to understand it better:
You know, when you are wearing a dark t-shirt on the sun, that you feel hotter than in a white shirt. It is because of the same process.
Dark colors absorb more light and this is why dark shirt becomes hotter when you are outside on the sun.
In the process of laser hair removal, laser is the sun and the hair is the dark shirt. The hair absorbs the light from laser and becomes heated to the needed temperature in order to kill Bulb and the Bulge. Everything happens in 0.003 seconds. So, it is pretty fast, effective, safe and not painful.
What are the pros of Laser Hair Removal?
• While laser hair removal doesn’t get rid of hair forever, it does drastically reduce hair growth—to the point that you can stop shaving altogether. The only hair left on your body will be the thin, light hair that you don’t notice with your eye.
• It can be done on both face and body.
• Laser treatment is less painful than waxing. Even though it is not completely painless like shaving, new technologies made it very easy to handle.
• It is not expensive. Even though it can sound like that in a short term, when compared to other treatments – even shaving, it is less expensive in a long term.
• It is safe. When done properly, from people who are following protocols and with experience, there is almost no chance of burning.
• It saves your time. Women spend in average 59 days on shaving! Just imagine all the things you could do instead of shaving.
What are the cons of Laser Hair Removal?
• It is a process that can last around a year. A session of laser hair removal on the underarms takes less than a minute. However, it takes multiple sessions to see real results (anywhere between four and eight depending on the area that is treated and your age), and you generally have to wait six weeks between treatments.
• It is not completely safe for all skin types. Even though technology advanced, people with darker skin have much more risk of burns. On the other side, it is very safe for the people with the lighter skin types and people in Czech Republic are in the group of people for whom the epilation is a very safe treatment.
• If done by an untrained technician, laser hair removal could leave burns or scars on the skin. So, be careful when you chose the place where you want to do your treatment at. Sometimes, it pays of to pay more in order to be safe and not to worry.